- Klinton Bicknell: PI
- What phonetic information (if any) is required and/or helpful for learning phonotactic generalizations?
- Does prior phonotactic knowledge (e.g., an already-aquired language) affect the helpfulness of certain phonetic information for learning phonotactic generalizations?
This project is currently on hold, as I am primarily focusing on my thesis work.
Findings So Far
- Pre-specificed phonological distinctive features are not required for phonotactic learning
- For an LSTM, distinctive features may even be detrimental, constraining the solution space unhelpfully
- Association for Computational Linguistics, July 2019: Using LSTMs to Assess the Obligatoriness of Phonological Distinctive Features for Phonotactic Learning (poster presentation)
- MidPhon 23 (Mid-continental Phonetics and Phonology Workshop), October 2018: Computationally Assessing the Usefulness of Phonotactic Distinctive Features (oral presentation)