- Klinton Bicknell: PI
Findings So Far
- Pre-specificed phonological distinctive features are not required for phonotactic learning
- For an LSTM, distinctive features may even be detrimental, constraining the solution space unhelpfully
(Contact me if these sound cool!)
- Can distinctive features bootstrap pattern extraction from a smaller dataset?
- Is phonotactic learning aided by token-level variability?
- How accurate are LSTM predictions about second-language phonotactics?
- Association for Computational Linguistics, July 2019: Using LSTMs to Assess the Obligatoriness of Phonological Distinctive Features for Phonotactic Learning (poster presentation)
- MidPhon 23 (Mid-continental Phonetics and Phonology Workshop), October 2018: Computationally Assessing the Usefulness of Phonotactic Distinctive Features (oral presentation)